The EPFL is recruiting two new PhD candidates to join the Laboratory for Experimental Museology for the upcoming SNF Sinergia interdisciplinary project involving experts in machine learning, visual analytics, digital museology, and archival science to create a groundbreaking visualization framework for interactively (re)discovering hundreds of thousands of hours of audiovisual materials.
Narratives from the long tail: transforming access to audiovisual archives. Narratives draws on leading digital archives including: Radio Télévision Suisse, the UNESCO Memory of the World listed Montreux Jazz Festival archive, and the Netherland’s Eye Filmmuseum’s Mutoscope collection. These vast archives demand new solutions from those who want to engage with them to: deliver computational transformations in the data curation to augment conventional archives with richer semantic meaning; design a narrative visualization framework, combining spatio-temporal, social, aesthetic and affective semantics to pioneer new audiovisual storytelling formats and; to develop platforms for the navigation, exploration and creative reorganization of moving images through immersive and interactive systems, for broad publics in museums. Your opportunity to join and international team of experts in bringing this seminal project to fruition.
The openings are in :
- Multimedia Visualization (graphics and audio for large scale interactive immersive systems at eM+, specially 360-degree 3D systems)
- Data Science and Computational Archives
1 – PhD Position in Multimedia Visualization
You are curious and motivated with a passion for research into the future of museum experience and archives. You have :
- a MA degree in computer science, graphics, visualization, or a related field.
- modest understanding of audio infrastructure for immersive systems at eM+ or willingness to learn.
- skills in computer programming, advanced knowledge in C++, Python, UNREAL Engine and Unity frameworks is preferable.
- very good analytic skills; project design and implementation with several stakeholders.
- a background or interest in interactive visualization and design.
- an interest in the applied world of museums, in the futures for mass digital archives in immersive systems design for mass publics worldwide.
- a team spirit and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment.
- fluency in English.
2 – PhD Position in Data Science and Computational Archives
You are curious and motivated with a passion for research into the computational archival science and cultural big data.
- a MA degree in computer science, specifically data science, computational archival science, information science or a related field.
- skills in computer programming, advanced knowledge in data science and machine learning is preferable.
- very good analytic skills; project design and implementation with several stakeholders and custodians of big cultural data.
- a background or interest in the applied world of museums, in the futures of mass digital archives and immersive systems design for mass publics.
- interest in films.
- team spirit and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment.
- fluency in English.
At EPFL doctoral students are regular full-time employees. Doctoral studies commonly last 4 years, with a candidacy exam after the first year. The EPFL provides an international academic ecosystem, excellent and stimulating research, training and teaching environment as well as a dynamic and lively international campus with a vibrant student life and cultural events.
At eM+, you will join an interdisciplinary team of 10 people with diverse backgrounds such as museums, archives, imaging and visualization, graphics coding and human computer interaction.
All applications should be submitted online via the doctoral school of Digital Humanities (EDDH) and be admitted. Please refer to the website of EDDH for application requirements and deadlines. The application should specifically include a CV, motivation letter (directed to Prof. Dr Sarah Kenderdine), and three academic references. Details about the procedure and other required application files are found at the submission portal.
Start date for both positions
June 1, 2021 (envisaged, but the actual start date can be more flexible).
Deadline for application for both positions
The application deadline is April 30th, 2021.
Questions can be sent to email@example.com. Please do not submit your application via email but by the website.